Fire and Insurance Disaster Tips for Homeowners and Business Owners
Below is a list of guidelines you should be aware of during a fire or water disaster on your property. Remember that each situation is unique.
Harris Claims Services’ team of public adjusters and emergency service contractors are available 24/7 all over the Chicagoland area. We understand that fire and water disasters do not have a timetable. It is not unusual for a fire victim to call us at 1:00 a.m. and ask us to come see them immediately. With that being said, we take the initiative to get there immediately, even faster than the insurance company adjusters. It is a plain and simple fact that we are the best in the industry.
Here are some guidelines and tips you should consider during a fire or water disaster:
Immediate Post-Disaster Guidelines
- Hire Harris Claims Services as your experts.
- Mitigate your loss and protect your property from further damage.
- Move quickly to protect property such as books, manuscripts, etc.
- Control access to the premises.
- Do not allow anyone to remove property from the building.
Management Team Guidelines for Businesses
- Establish a claim management team, with one spokesperson.
- Have an initial policy analysis and claim strategy prepared and make sure all team members understand it.
- Set up a post-loss plan to protect your operations and market, and notify your customers, banks, and
- Prepare public relations program to inform stakeholders and the general public of the damage to your property.
- Know the players, including who the adjuster’s representatives are.
- Know your broker’s role.
- Understand your duties and requirements.
- Document your activities in a log.
- Understand that the insurance company adjuster works for the insurance company only. Public adjusters work for you, the property owner.
Post-Loss and Claims Negotiation Guidelines
- Take a proactive position; you must make a claim.
- Report the loss to your agent or broker, or directly to the insurance company.
- Make the decisions that are best for the survival of your organization.
- Integrate your claim management with the post-loss
- Concentrate on maintaining your operations, not on preparing claim details – leave that to the experts.
- Don’t rely solely on historical records; make sure to secure replacement estimates as well.
- Coordinate the property, business interruption and extra–expense claims.
- Understand that your claim will have to be verified.
- Understand the negotiation process and review all of your insurance paperwork.
Please consider calling Harris Claims Services at 847-329-8444 for a FREE, NO–OBLIGATION consultation.
The information you receive is invaluable whether you decide to retain our services or go at it on your own. We will be happy to meet with you on-site at your convenience.
FILE A CLAIM
Complete the form and get a call back shortly.